If you figured in a vehicular accident either as a driver, a passenger, or a pedestrian in San Bernardino or anywhere else in the United States, you need to contact a car accident attorney as fast as you possibly can. This is to help you understand whether you have the right to seek compensation for any injury or harm you may have sustained because of the accident.
All over the United States, there are more than 2.3 million individuals who suffer a host of physical injuries in addition to psychological trauma and emotional distress due to involvement in non-fatal traffic collisions, lane departure crashes, rollovers, and other incidents on the road. This does not include the more than 30,000 individuals who lost their lives due to similar road accidents but on a more fatal note. And while the government, both state and federal, have stepped up its traffic enforcement and traffic safety programs, lives continue to be lost and altered. An auto accident attorney can help you find justice if you happen to be one of the victims of these senseless motor vehicle collisions and road accidents.
The Need for a Car Accident Lawyer
Being involved in a car accident can have a variety of legal implications. In some cases where the road collision resulted in the loss of life, then the case can take the form of a crime which has significantly different legal frameworks compared to personal injury cases. If it resulted in damage to personal property, then that takes on a different tone as well. If the road accident resulted in multiple injuries to a number of individuals, each individual will have the right to seek the services of a personal injury lawyer to help them seek redress for their pain and suffering as a result of the road accident.
Motor vehicle collisions are generally classified under personal injury laws. As such it is important to get the services of a personal injury lawyer who specializes in car accidents. Personal injury cases are largely anchored on the determination of one’s negligence and whether this negligence directly resulted in the road injuries sustained by the victims. Unfortunately, it is not generally easy to assign negligence to someone as there are certain rules that need to be observed. So, even before you can file for a personal injury claim from the defendant’s insurance company, you will have to make sure that the defendant is indeed negligent and that the traffic collision is not merely the result of a freak accident.
So why do you need a car accident lawyer? You need someone to look at your case and tell you outright if you will be able to expect a favorable outcome. For example, you may have been injured in a traffic collision but if it was found that you don’t have a valid vehicle insurance then you might not be able to expect anything at all. You need to understand that there is a specific law in California, which car accident cases in San Bernardino are also based, that effectively disallows any person to file a claim for personal injuries suffered in a road collision if he himself does not have a valid vehicle insurance. If you don’t know this and you filed for a claim, you will just be wasting your time. However, if you did have passengers at the time of the accident and they, too, were injured or suffered emotional harm or psychological distress, then they can avail of the services of a reputable San Bernardino car accident lawyer. Your passengers can file for a claim for their personal injuries and the harm that has come to them
There is also a twist to the law itself. If the person who initiated the traffic collision or was deemed negligent that led to the car accident was also established to have been drinking or under the influence of an intoxicating substance at the time of the accident, then you will have a shot at claiming for personal injuries sustained regardless of whether you have a motor vehicle insurance or not. If you don’t get the services of a qualified San Bernardino attorney who specializes in car accidents, then you simply will never know if you have a chance or not.
Hiring the Right Lawyer for Car Accidents
Getting the services of a dedicated and highly-reputable car accident lawyer is very important right from the very start. This is to make sure that you have a case to begin with. In hiring the right vehicle accident lawyer you will need to do a number of things.
- Always check their professional credibility. A lawyer who is a member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers should provide you with the peace of mind that the lawyer you are getting is indeed well-versed and duly-accredited by his specialty professional organization. Accredited professional organizations police their ranks to make sure that everyone is up to standards. These organizations also require their members to make sure that they are continuously updated with the latest in car accident laws. Some clients would also want to look at the educational institutions where the lawyer took his law degree. All over the world, there are schools that are ranked according to the quality of their educational programs. While this does not necessarily mean that the attorney is credible, just making it out alive in the tough academic program for attorneys is considered a feat already. These institutions demand only the best from their lawyers.
- Make sure they are well-respected by the rest of the community. You need a vehicle accident lawyer who has the respect of his fellow lawyers. This is not to say that he will sell your case to the other side. It simply means that he will be taken very seriously by the other party. It is also important that your attorney has an excellent reputation in your community. Why? You need someone whom people respect and have high regard for. This will give you an idea of his character both as an individual and as a legal professional.
- Consider their years of experience especially in the field of car accidents. It takes many years to build a career in law. Specializing in car crashes, while under personal injury law, will require an entirely different set of professional competencies. Unfortunately, this does not only come from reading law books and judicial motions but also, and more importantly, from years of experience handling such cases. An excellent car crash attorney therefore, is one who has many years handling many cases involving vehicles. It is equally important to choose a car accident lawyer who has won more times than he has lost. Whether you care to admit it or not, you definitely would like to win in your case.
- Determine their ability to work with vehicle insurance companies. A good car accident lawyer must be able to know just how insurance companies work to undermine the merits of the case. In many cases, their insurance adjuster will determine the lowest possible amount of compensation the company should award the plaintiff. An excellent car wreck attorney must therefore, know these tactics and other strategies employed by insurance companies so that you will have a greater chance of getting a more favorable outcome. More importantly, your attorney knows just how much you are rightfully entitled to. Based on your injuries and the impact of the accident on your personal, social, and economic life, the car accident lawyer will be able to determine the minimum amount that you should receive.
- Try to gauge their level of commitment to your case. Car accident attorneys must be committed to their cases. And while this may not only be the case they are handling at the moment, they will still need to show the same level of dedication and commitment to see your case progress. A good attorney is an excellent client advocate. Unfortunately, advocacy only works if your attorney is able to establish a healthy professional relationship with you. This relationship must be based on mutual trust and respect. It simply is a no-brainer choosing someone to represent your interests if you cannot get along with him well enough to trust the success of your case.
- Check if they have adequate support. This is very important because attorneys are very busy professionals. They may have plenty of cases to handle so they need to have the correct number of support staff to do the exhaustive research necessary to build a case. An injury lawyer needs to be supported by an equally dedicated team of paralegals and other personnel. These work together to make sure that your case will lead to a more positive outcome.
Being involved in a car accident can be nerve-wracking. Whether you were involved in motor vehicle collisions or any other road accident, you simply want to know if you can file a claim for your personal injuries. Let a car accident lawyer in San Bernardino help you.
Please watch the video below so you can better understand why you need a lawyer when you have an accident.